Thursday, September 17, 2009

Minoritites in Video Games


I,ve realized that I have thought alot about minorities in television and in film, but not in video games. And now that I think of it, there is alot. For example in the new Call of Duty, you can play as this Russian character. He is portrayed as much to the extreme as anyone could ever. He talks with the sickest accent , seems extra violent and drinks a shitload.

Also in another game series, Grand Theft Auto, you always seem to be a minority. Wheater you are also a Russian immigrant or an African American. Also in this game series, they are portrayed to the max.

Can you think of any video games out there that have minorities in them that don't really portray them at all to any extreme.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post, I would have never thought of this. However it is a very important factor as to what causes stereotypes, or simply supports them. I happen to be a Russian immigrant, and although I do not personally find that offensive. It does back up some afformentioned stereotypes. Same with the black character in GTA, although I don't think black people are offended that a black gang member is represented like that in a game, it does push some stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point about minorities in video games. However, isn't that the point of video games absurd? It's hard to find a game in which a charachter is wholesome and morally just because most video games involve some type of violence and other action that is outlawed in real life. I mean I certainly see your point, I just have to defend video games because it seems they are always the first to be attacked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. I think in the game Driver there was no sound and the guy was a white guy. Definitely see your larger point though.

    ReplyDelete